Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib, is one of the nine historical gurdwaras in Delhi. First established in 1783 by Baghel Singh to commemorate the martyrdom site the ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur.
Located in Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi, the Sis Ganj Gurudwara was first established in the year 1783 to commemorate the persecution site of Guru Tegh Bahadur ji. It is one of the most important historical Gurudwaras in Delhi. The present structure of the holy shrine was constructed in the year 1930. It comprises of a huge spacious hall which has a bronze canopy right in the centre, under which the holy book, Shri Guru Granth Sahib is kept. The huge complex houses around 250 rooms and 200 lockers for the visitors who wish to stay there at night. The Gurudwara also provides modern facilities for its visitors from all over the world.
The present gurudwara structure was built in 1930. The trunk of tree under which the Guru was beheaded is also preserved here as is the well from which he took bath while in the prison. Also standing adjoining the gurdwara is the Kotwali (police station), where Guru was imprisoned and his disciples were tortured.
Another gurudwara by the same name, Gurudwara Sisganj Sahib at Anandpur Sahib in Punjab, marks the site were in November of 1675, the head of the martyred Guru Teg Bahadur, brought by Bhai Jaita (renamed Bhai Jivan Singh according to Sikh rites) in defiance of the Mughal authorities was cremated here.