The Safdarjang tomb is besides the of Safdarjang airport. This tomb was built by the Nawab of Avadh for his father. The structure is one of the finest example of architecture of its time and tells a saga of the last remnants of a dying empire.
Safdarjung’s tomb was built in 1753 by Shuja ud duallah as a tribute to his father’s memory. Safdurjung, whose original name was Mirza Muquim Abul Mansur Khan was the governor of the province of Awadh under the reign of Muhammad Shah and was later made the ruler’s prime minister. It is probably the only construction in Delhi that speaks of the same grandeur of Mughal art during and previous to the rule of Aurangzeb.
Situated at the head of the Lodi road the tomb emits the glow of the Mughal era. Safdarjung’s Tomb is one of the few buildings built during the last span of the Mughal era. The plan of the tomb structure is similar to that of the Humayun’s tomb over an area of 300 sq. mtrs. Two graves of are located in the tomb, one that of Safdarjung’s and the other of his wife. The chambers in the tomb are essentially rectangular in shape except the corner chambers that are structured octagonal.